International Indigenous Business Experience: Ch’nook Trek
Ch’nook Trek was designed to provide members of the Ch’nook Indigenous Business Network with an opportunity to expand their view on international trade and business and to enhance their knowledge of global business practices. The program provides an opportunity for talented and select members of the Ch’nook Network to visit international businesses and multinational corporations, connect with local alumni, and tour the region to experience its indigenous and non-indigenous culture. Corporate visits are scheduled in morning and afternoon sessions, run for 1.5 – 3 hours and typically include a corporate presentation, tour and an opportunity for participants to ask questions and network with key organizational representatives.
Participants are provided with an opportunity meet with and learn firsthand about Indigenous communities and businesses globally. They will also be provided with opportunities to meet Canadian corporations and industry professionals to learn about their business, understand the dynamics of an international career in business and gain insights into the organizations day-to-day operations.
- To deepen students’ understanding of global business communities, industries and corporate cultures
- To provide an opportunity for multinational corporations and international businesses to educate participants on industry trends and career opportunities
- To enable students to meet business leaders and develop their international business network
Participants are expected to exemplify Ch’nook’s emphasis on achievement and contribution through having made excellent progress in studies at their home institutions and in having demonstrated contributions to their home communities. Students apply for and are accepted into the program based on the following criteria:
- Faculty referral
- Extracurricular activities
- Interpersonal skills
- Interest in working in that geographic location
- Selection committee interview/review
Participation Benefits for Ch’nook Participants
- Overcomes geographic constraints and budget limitations that might make it challenging for students to experience and network with international businesses and multinational corporations
- Provides greater insights into the dynamics of international business
- Provides direct experience of multinational corporations
- Increases participants’ understanding of career path and mobility options
In the spring of 2012, Ch’nook Trek will be headed to Ethiopia in partnership with the Sauder School’s ARC Initative
For members of the Ch’nook Network who are interested in participating in this unique opportunity, please check out the project summary page here or by clicking “Ch’nook Trek: Ethiopia” on the left side menu.
If you are interested in Trek but are not yet a Ch’nook Network member, register here.(The Ch’nook Network is open to Ch’nook Alumni and all Aboriginal business/management students studying at one of Ch’nook’s Accord Partners)